X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • iforclan
    My Email is DEAD
    • Jul 2009

MD5 Tool bans reliable?

Maybe some of you use MD5 Tool checks on your servers?

How do you feel about it? Is it reliable in looking for hacks?

I have seen a lot of people on different servers, wondering about MD5 Tool bans - asking why the were banned. I know how it works with the checks - but is reliable?
  • UXO-VS-
    Chief Of Police
    • Dec 2007

Re: MD5 Tool bans reliable?

MD5 checks is fairly reliable in my opinion. Read the article that follows below. I got this from Wikipedia. Without these checks, persons with modified files that work to their advantage are considered hacks. Cheat programs do modify certain game files for this purpose. That is why the MD5 checks are necessary.

In cryptography, MD5 (Message-Digest algorithm 5) is a widely used cryptographic hash function with a 128-bit hash value. As an Internet standard (RFC 1321), MD5 has been employed in a wide variety of security applications, and is also commonly used to check the integrity of files. However, it has been shown that MD5 is not collision resistant;[1] as such, MD5 is not suitable for applications like SSL certificates or digital signatures that rely on this property. An MD5 hash is typically expressed as a 32-digit hexadecimal number.

MD5 was designed by Ron Rivest in 1991 to replace an earlier hash function, MD4. In 1996, a flaw was found with the design of MD5. While it was not a clearly fatal weakness, cryptographers began recommending the use of other algorithms, such as SHA-1 (which has since been found vulnerable). In 2004, more serious flaws were discovered, making further use of the algorithm for security purposes questionable.[2][3] In 2007 a group of researchers including Arjen Lenstra described how to create a pair of files that share the same MD5 checksum.[4] In an attack on MD5 published in December 2008, a group of researchers used this technique to fake SSL certificate validity.[5][6] US-CERT of the U. S. Department of Homeland Security said MD5 "should be considered cryptographically broken and unsuitable for further use,"[7] and most U.S. government applications will be required to move to the SHA-2 family of hash functions by 2010.[8]
    www.GGC-stream.net

Comment

• krm2014
      My Email is DEAD
      • Nov 2008

I feel confident with them also. There is a small chance that it's a false positive ban, but those can be removed. The streaming sites only ban for files/MD5's that they have in their system as a known cheat, so that gives them credibility in my eyes.

Comment

• iforclan
        My Email is DEAD
        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by krm2014";p="
        The streaming sites only ban for files/MD5's that they have in their system as a known cheat, so that gives them credibility in my eyes.
        That I didn

Comment

• UXO-VS-
          Chief Of Police
          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by iforclan";p="
          Another question - are there other programs that modify game files just like a hack (thinking about fraps, xfire etc.).
          NO. Those programs DO NOT modify or 'HOOK' game files. They do not need the game files to do anything special. Thy are written independently and are coded in a way that the AC community knows exactly what the programs are. If you have something that modifies the game files, then you do NOT want to use it.
          www.GGC-stream.net

Comment

• Crazy56
            • Jan 2008

They don't modify game files but programs like Fraps, Xfire, TeamSpeak Overlay and any other program that uses some sort of overlay, allowing you to see its functions in-game ALL use one sort of GameHook or another.  PB WILL ban certain GameHooks, and Xfire & TSO are suspect in an outbreak of GameHook bans recently by PB, PunksBusted & PBBans.  I know there have been quite a few upset people at PB because they claim they are not hacking.  So, until this situation is resolved I do not run Xfire or TSO or any other program while gaming on a PB protected server.  That's just me though.

Comment

• -Fore
              • Jan 2010

its safe

PBBans and PsB only use MD5 to check for known cheat files

Comment

Working...