X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • UXO-VS-
    Chief Of Police
    • Dec 2007

What is Memorial Day

Many people have tried to say this is a simple cut and paste from another's story. That is false. I have written this several years ago and have posted this many times as a reminder to all those who do not have a proper understanding of what Memorial day is. I hope this helps people realize what this special day is all about.

Happy Memorial Day to you and yours.

[hr]

My years whirl past me. Swirling. Dry, broken grass hovering in a spring breeze. Can I remember my experiences in war? Quite. Fighting for my country, my youth invested, seems such a long time ago, and so unimportant. Memorial Day, originally known as Decoration Day, has its roots in the wake of the American Civil War. After World War I, it became a day of remembrance for all those who had died in the nation's wars, and in 1971, Congress declared it a national holiday to be observed on the final Monday in May.

It has grown from local origins to become a firmly rooted national tradition. Flags displayed at Veteran cemeteries across our land, one white tombstone at a time. Why do I feel so stricken? Have I abandoned old friends from long ago? Their ghosts consort with my floating years, and their spirits coast around my presence.

Another three-day holiday! Memorial Day! Maybe the kids and I can go camping? Or, go to the beach? Memorial Day is fun! This is the inconsiderate, thoughtless approach to this meaningful, and consecrated moment representing one three hundred and sixty-fifth of our year. What is the meaning of Memorial Day? Is it merely a three-day escape from our worldly duties? Or, is it the official beginning of summer? Is selling more hot dogs at the ballpark the overriding clarification?

Many souls, sacrificed in war, in duty to America, are wandering. They drift in a heavenly place, minus their future here upon earth. Their tomorrow
    www.GGC-stream.net

Working...